Sunday, January 04, 2009

I’m gonna miss him…over time

I’m referring to President George W. Bush. True, over the past couple of years I’ve grown weary of some of the things he’s done, and not done. As the 2008 election neared, I often said to myself I’d sure be happy when we had a new guy in the White House…republican or democrat. Today, I read an interesting opinion article in our local newspaper about the personal side of George Bush…stuff the media hardly ever writes about because there’s nothing spectacular or controversial involved. Things like the President being a physical fitness nut, exercising almost every day no matter where he is; and when he could, wildly riding his mountain bike through the woods, with Secret Service guys panting in quick pursuit. Him setting up competition between his staff by giving “bragging rights” T-shirts to those who had run three consecutive miles in 100 degree heat at his Texas ranch. Him going into dining facility kitchens at military installations to personally thank the people who had made his french fries. Him sending birthday notes to his staff, and remembering little details about their families. Him giving nicknames to people famous and otherwise. Him liking peanut butter and honey sandwiches (so do I) and him never being served a grilled cheese sandwich without a side of yellow mustard. In staff meetings him asking questions that get right to the heart of an issue, and always being deeply inquisitive. Him being typically in his office promptly at 0645, and going to bed before 2200. Him being overly optimistic (something I grew weary of at times) even when his popularity nose-dived (something I respected him for). Him taking criticism in ways that do not show, and once having said to his press secretary to “Find a way to forgive, because that’s the way to lead your life.” And lastly, him clearing brush at his ranch and looking more like your buddy down the street than the President. I’m excited about President Obama taking over later this month and wish him well. Still, I’m sure that over time I’m gonna miss the type of guy I described above. Hopefully, four years from now, I’ll feel the same way about the new guy.