Monday, June 27, 2011

Think about it

I have become more and more dissatisfied with the use of what is commonly referred to as "social media." Twitter, Facebook and cellphone texting for instance, and the manner in which people are utilizing this way to interact instead of having a good old fashioned face to face conversation. It's much easier, for example, to post some comment on your Facebook wall about another person, than it is to actually talk to that person. While I am critical of where this mode of communication has taken us, I use it just as millions of others do. So, why am I unhappy with it?

In my case I am attracted to things that are "new." I like to experiment, and I like change. When Facebook came along, I saw just how beneficial that might be to how we in the Army could keep in touch. Families, units, organizations, whatever. Using Facebook or Twitter with that in mind is a good idea, and as many military units with members deployed overseas have found out, it's a great way to facilitate cohesion and morale.

What bothers me more these days is how abusive and insensitive people have become on Facebook or Twitter regarding what they write...or in  the case of some...what they upload in the way of photos. It boggles my mind why anyone could be so stupid to post something in a moment of anger, for all the world (potentially) to read...or see. What's that say about that person? Would you want that person working for you...or with you?

Maybe we just need to be more mindful and respectful of others, regardless of how we might feel about them or their beliefs. More importantly, maybe we need to think twice before making a comment on Facebook, Twitter or in a cellphone text. If there is any doubt in your mind how it might be received...take a deep breath and delete it.