Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hard Choices

I'm a Vietnam War veteran with two combat tours. What was said back then about the hard choices of staying there or leaving, are again being said about Afghanistan. Unfortunately just as during the war in Vietnam, "political considerations" play too large a role in making decisions. Frankly, I find it hard to understand how a politician will argue for this or that based mostly on opinion polls, and how a position they might take will affect their re-election. We're not taking about popularity here, we're talking about men and women being sent into combat...being killed, wounded and otherwise being affected in many ways which will follow them the rest of their lives.

The President is going to address this topic tonight on television, and perhaps I ought to wait until afterwards to make this post. But, I decided to post it anyway. What he says or does not say isn't going to make any difference to how I feel personally about it all.