Tuesday, June 07, 2011

If you need to recharge your batteries...

Whenever my Army Engineer Sapper Spirit Engine batteries get low, I re-charge by talking to, watching, admiring, and wondering how so many can be so good...engineer soldiers I'm referring to. My annual trip to the Headquarters of the Engineer Regiment at Fort Leonard Wood usually provides me with enough "juice" to last a year...the place is that inspiring...especially to one like me who remembers when the installation was much less (you insert a discriptor here).

In between my trips out west of the Mississippi River, I receive "trickle charges" to my batteries by writing about things going on within the Regiment...for Army Engineer magazine. In the process, I see not only images made at Fort Leonard Wood, but get a large amount of material from those deployed...military and civilian. As I insert photos into magazine layouts, I often visualize myself actually being on the ground where the image was taken. Makes me feel less old and more relevant.

So, for you other engineer veterans out there reading this, seek out an engineer soldier or two if you can, and see how much your Sapper Spirit will be energized. If that's not possible, visit AEA's website and click on Unit Links. Lots to see and read there.