Sunday, December 12, 2010

Being a professional

In a recent post at my photo blog jmichaelphotos.com I wrote about why I, even though I am not a professional photographer, treat what I do in that regard as if I were. I suppose this trait of mine was cemented into my personality by having been "in the Army" for as long as I was... three years high school ROTC, 4 years college ROTC and then 28 years on active duty. True, my ROTC time was not technically "in the Army" but I was exposed to many basic leadership and positive character traits which I suppose better prepared me for later life.

It's frustrating to me today when I observe so many young people who seem to have no interest in anything "professional", unless such involves attaining the highest possible level in some role playing video game. Many have no idea where they are headed, don't care, and shrug off advice from others who have "been there" themselves. Not having pride in what you do, not caring about what others think, not wanting to spend any time in face to face interaction (text messages rule), and seemingly not thinking about anything that may cause personal discomfort.

Much of this in my view has been caused by the manner in which our education system has deteriorated over the years, and by a loss of family unity...given that so many young people live in single parent homes. Also, technology has played its part too...offering instant access to an incredible amount of information online...much of it being worthless, or if anything only a way to waste valuable time.

My advice to all is to treat everything you do, no matter what it is, as if you're a professional in that area, and that your future depends on how well you perform. If you do this, there's little doubt you will succeed in life.