Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Race Week in Martinsville

This is race week here in Martinsville, Virginia. Twice each year, NASCAR fans from wide and far come to this rural part of Virginia to watch some of the best racing around...and I do mean "around" like "around and round they go."

I'm going to be a part of it again, but this time more so with my camera and less so as a watching fan. I'm headed to the track for qualifying this Friday, and then back on Saturday for the truck race. I'm not going to the Sprint Cup race on Sunday this Fall, mainly because I'm locked to my seat during that very crowded event, and can't get the sort of photos I want...crowds and position make it difficult to get much action from high up where I typically sit. During the truck race, however, it's general admission and I can wander all over the place, seeing the action from many angles. I took the photo you see above last October.

I also want to get into the "fan thing" this year, and to capture many of the things they do, while having so much fun. Weather is predicted to be nice too, and that makes it even better. Last Spring the weather was horrible and I elected not to attend...wasting my hard earned bucks on tickets I never used. So, stand by here on this blog next week for some pics of what I saw, and some words to go along with it.