Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The COs Wife

Army Times online had a story this week about a brigade commander's wife being banned from the brigade by the corps commander at Fort Bragg. I will let you read the story to get the full details, but in sum, she apparently often used her husband's rank to get what she wanted, especially with rear detachment personnel and battalion commanders' wives.

I won't say where and when, but to a much less degree as in the Bragg story, I've seen commander's wives sometimes stray into areas they ought to remain clear of. For what ever reason, some felt they were entitled to more "respect" than others based entirely on the level of command (or rank) of their husband. I've seen it with senior NCO wives as well, so it's not just an "officer" thing.

The sad thing about this whole situation at Fort Bragg, is that it may lessen the perceived importance by the public of the numerous critical roles being played today, and in the past, by Army spouses everywhere. It also adds credence to some Hollywood and TV portrayals of what an "Army Wife" is all about.

My first question is, why in the world would the brigade commander at Bragg himself allow this all to transpire as it did. I can guess what the reason is, but will hold that to myself. Anyway, check out the story at the link above.