Monday, October 20, 2008

NASCAR Short-Track Racing

There are many reasons why, for me, short-track NASCAR racing is special. The most obvious is that one can sit in the stands and see every bit of the action, compared to larger oval or D-shaped, one-two mile long, higher-speed tracks where spectators generally see just a portion of the race. Yesterday at Martinsville Speedway where the annual fall NASCAR Sprint Cup race was held, I again experienced my favorite aspect of a short-track event…seeing up-close more than just the race itself. For example, from where I was seated high up, between turns one and two of the “paper-clip” configured, half-mile long historic track (first race in 1948 just as NASCAR was formed), I saw a series of simple (but to me personal) things, through my binoculars, a few minutes before drivers entered their cars to be given the command “start your engines”. Jimmy Johnson joking around with numerous people near his number 48 car (he won by the way). Tony Stewart emptying the pants pockets of his bright orange and black driver’s suit of items he apparently did not want to carry with him during the race, and giving them to a crew member. Kevin Harvick sitting casually on the pit wall with an arm around his wife. Carl Edwards standing nearby looking at Harvick (they had a personal physical altercation a few weeks ago). Dale Earnhardt, Jr. taking time to meet and greet one adoring fan after another, always shaking hands and having his photo taken, and then signing whatever autograph they apparently wanted. Jeff Burton (a Virginian) laughing with a reporter. And the race driver I don’t like very much, Kyle Busch, leaning against his car, wearing his trademark wrap-around sunglasses, smiling and laughing with reporters and others. You get my point. With my view it was almost as if I was right next to all the drivers lined up waiting to race. In short, I was a personal part of the event. You can’t get that at most other NASCAR race tracks.