Friday, October 03, 2008

Michigan Tech


I’m sitting here at the computer following my morning daily physical routine, wearing a Michigan Tech logo-emblazoned tee-shirt, sweat pants and hat, looking like (I’m sure) a brand new freshman at my alma mater (1963). Per my previous post, we visited Houghton, Michigan in the UP of the state last week and not only had an opportunity to spend some money in the campus bookstore buying “gear”, but were able to see some very beautiful country at the same time. My wife and I were married there, our first daughter was born there, and we have tons of memories there, all great (except for my grade point average which was only a bit above what I needed to graduate). I was commissioned into the Corps of Engineers from ROTC there, and that was my main purpose in going to college in the first place… to become an officer in the U.S. Army. I had no choice but “engineers’ since at that time ROTC was branch-specific at some colleges, and Michigan Tech was/is a leading engineering and science school. The photo here is of the main part of the university, taken from across the Portage Lake portion of Lake Superior which cuts across the Keweenaw Peninsula . It snows a lot up there in the winter, and it’s pretty darn cold most of the time. Ice hockey is the main sport and when we were students there Michigan Tech won the NCAA Division 1 championship (1962). They also won it in 1965 and 1975. In recent years they have not been as successful, but you can’t tell that when you look at the new ice arena, student athletic complex, and student development center. In fact, the place looks totally different than when we were students there, with many of the old buildings having been replaced. However, my dorm is still there as it was then (with additions), as are some of the old bars we used to frequent (illegally I might add). In sum, it was great to go back. I wish I could start all over again up there in the cold north-woods. I might even be able to study harder. Or maybe not.