Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New Growth


The other day when I was out walking in the woods (along with assorted ticks) I was looking for something to photograph (not the ticks). I spotted this and immediately thought, "new growth". Later as I continued my walk, I started thinking about that image, and what it might stand for. I'm a down-to-earth sort of person, usually not prone to get too philosophic about things. I also tend to be rather pessimistic, and have been accused by my wife as being a worrier. But, there are occasions when I stop and think about where I am in this world, and how I feel about it. Wow, this post is starting to get awful mushy sounding isn't it. So, let me get to my point. This picture of bright green new growth sprouting out of a cut-off small tree, deep in the woods, all by itself underneath much larger, more robust relatives, could have special meaning to us. For example, when we get too negative about life or things therein. There's always the possibility of "new growth" regardless of our hardships. Well, that's what it means to me anyway. As for the ticks I walked with that day, at least one followed me home, to be discovered the morning after, in a place I won't tell you about. Besides flies, ticks probably are my least favorite insect. Now there I go being all negative again.