Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Learning through sports


One activity that signals the end of the school year are athletic playoffs…like soccer, baseball, softball, track, etc. Around my house, girls high school soccer takes priority. I am sometimes amazed at how much energy the players put into the game, but then on the other hand, I am often disappointed at their seemingly lack of enthusiasm in relation to doing all they can do. When I hear a coach or player say "they were not into the game", I wonder why they are playing the game in the first place. Somehow, too many young people today have lost the same sort of enthusiasm for "doing hard things" that earlier generations had. Later in life they will pay a price for that attitude, since traits they exhibit now will affect how they respond to things in the future. Still, like in the photo here, there are many who do care, who do work hard, and who will ultimately become successful, no matter the challenges.