Monday, May 19, 2008

Hokie-Land

My daughter and I took (her daughter) Jennifer to Blacksburg yesterday for a six-week summer session. She's taking two math courses she could not fit into her schedule earlier. The start of the summer session is no where near as hectic as is the start of the session in the fall, when around 30,000 seem to arrive on the same day. Yesterday it rained hard, but held off while we were transferring items from one dorm to another. Every time I go back to Virginia Tech, I remember the recent tragedy there, but also wonder at the beauty of the surrounding region and the total togetherness of all who call Hokie-land "home". Enrollment is up for the 2008-2009 school year, as is tuition (unfortunately). While there yesterday, I made my usual trip to the campus bookstore to buy a couple of VT logo caps to take the place of others I've worn out. I say you can't have too many baseball caps, no matter the logo. But where we live you got to have at least one VT cap to wear most of the time. That's a Hokie-land regulation.