Monday, April 21, 2008

Sec Def critical of U.S. Air Force?

Now, here's something I can easily agree with coming from the Pentagon. I read today that the Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, told officers undergoing training at the Air University on Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama that the Air Force needs to do a better job adapting to the needs of the Global War on Terror, especially in the form of unmanned drones utilized for targeting and intelligence. If I were in his position, I'd also add that the Air Force needs to come up with some creative methods to take some of the heat off the Army and Marines, by using more airmen in logistical and other ground support roles in Iraq and Afghanistan that could be executed by any service. In other words, think "joint". I hope the Sec. Def. makes some headway in this matter, it's long overdue in my opinion.