Sunday, April 20, 2008

Feed the birds


My wife is a "bird feeder". She has all sorts of metal and plastic containers out back in the garden and other areas…all visible from the kitchen window over the sink. We go through enough thistle feed each month to take care of most yellow finches in a good portion of the entire Commonwealth of Virginia. At any given time, we have at least the number shown here (at just one of several stations), flitting about trying to secure their private space at the feeding slots. They go nuts if any other bird tries to move in. The downside to all this is the mess they make with seeds and husks dumped on the ground, which over a year can get several inches thick. Meaning your's truly has to keep a regular schedute scooping up the non-edible stuff. They also deposit their messy bird droppings on our fence which also requires my attention to remove, with the help of a high pressure washer. I don't really like the birds that much, but they are interesting to watch. More important, what I like or don't like in relation to my wife's bird population has zero impact. She feeds em, I clean up the mess.