Monday, January 21, 2008

Cold no help for the greatest

The bitter cold in Green Bay last evening was no help at all for one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game (my opinion of course) Brett Favre. I have been a Packer fan for most of my serious football watching life, so my heart was with Brett throughout. But, I also admired the grit and skill of the Giant's quarterback (young Eli Manning) who basically outplayed the veteran. While it would have been great to see the Pack go back to the Super Bowl, I really don't think they could beat the Patriots. The Giants, on the other hand, may be able to do just that. Still, I'll miss seeing Brett in the big game with stubby beard, strong arm and youthful spirit, playing with guys way younger, and having a wonderful time accurately throwing the football like a rocket. Last night was different for him it seems to me. Maybe it was the long season catching up with him, maybe it was an expectation that the Packers could pull out another win no matter the adversity, or maybe it was simply the brutal cold which seemed to effect him more than it did Manning. Whatever, it was a great game no matter who you were rooting for.