Friday, September 14, 2007

Knowing where you're at

Thanks to hi-tech gadgetry I now know where I'm at whenever I wish to know. I bought a hand-held global positioning system (GPS) unit last July and have been having lots of fun keeping track of my movements while out for my morning walk, or while riding along in the passenger's seat with my wife, giving her continual updates as to our exact location on the highway, our elevation, our expected time of arrival at our destination, the time spent moving and stopping, and when to expect the next exit or rest stop. Those of you with in-car navigation units are already aware of this, but having a hand-held unit is so much more fun. Like when I'm watching TV with my wife at night, I can sit and calculate the distance from our house to, say, Marquette, Michigan. Then I pick another destination, then another, until she shouts, "Put that thing away!" Then, there was the other day when we were backing out of the garage. I just knew she wanted to know how many feet we had gone as she slowly moved in reverse. "10 feet, now 12, now 13, now 14." Fun stuff, eh? Yes, I definitely know where I'm at when I want to know. My wife on the other hand needs no help in that regard. She's known where "I was at" for years.