Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Why don't more engineer units tell their story?

Over the past couple of years I have consistently received articles for publication written by men and women from essentially the same units…over and over. Why is that?

I don't want to list the units involved because as soon as I do, I'll find out I overlooked one or two; so, let's say that, for example, fewer than fifteen battalion-size units have sent materials over the past twelve months. All of them were/are deplolyed in either Iraq or Afghanistan, so don't tell me your unit is too busy.

My view is that by not spending some time telling the story of what your Soldiers are doing, is a dis-service to their overall efforts as a part of your unit. Organizations that have been successful in doing what I am suggesting, generally appoint a junior ranking officer or mid-grade enlisted person to handle "PAO" actions. In each case, articles tend to get written, published, and well rememberbered by those involved.

I'm pleased to continue to publish the work of those organizations who consistently send materials for publication in Army Engineer, and if it appears I am favoring the same units, then that's the way it will be until I receive more from others.