Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Hard times in Michigan

When I entered the Army back in 1963, I did so after graduation from Michigan Tech. Thus, the State of Michigan became my military "home of record". Back then, GM was flush with cash, as were other major automobile manufacturers. The State was also well off financially, and the highway system it had was probably the best in the midwest. When I came back from Vietnam in 1966 and again in 1969, the State gave me a $500 "Vietnam Bonus" each time, in appreciation for my service. I was obviously not the only Michigander who served in Vietnam, so the total amount of bonuses provided by the State must have been quite large. Compare those flush times with today. The State itself is in a dismal condition financially, and most everyone is well aware of where our automobile industry is today. This week on Capital Hill will be interesting to watch as CEO's of the "big three" plead for financial help. I want to see the State and its automobile industry return to where they once were in terms of financial stability. But, I can't overlook the fact that much of the problems both entities face today result from their own doing…call it what you want, mismanagement, greed, etc. This is a tough problem to deal with not only for the State of Michigan and the American automobile industry, but for the country as a whole. I am no where near smart enough to suggest what the best course of action might be. I trust others will be up to the task.