Friday, December 05, 2008

Dutch Harbor


For me, a visit to the City of Unalaska (Alaska's 11th largest city with 4000 residents) and the Port of Dutch Harbor was a dream come true. I'm a big fan of the Discovery Channel series "The Deadliest Catch", which focuses on commercial crab fishermen sailing into the Bering Sea from Dutch Harbor during the winter season. The day we were in Unalaska started out with a low fog bank over the island, which slowly lifted during the morning. I was able to take this picture right at the point in time. Talking to them in person, made me realize how rugged the people are who live here year around. From time to time I wish I was one of them. But then I come to my senses. Sadly, I missed my chance years ago when I was more "adaptive" in terms of living environment.