Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2007 Veterans Day…an after thought

My wife and I spent last Sunday (Veterans Day) with an Army buddy of mine and his wife, in North Carolina, about 2 hours drive from where we live. When we arrived late morning, Jim was wearing a red, white and blue ribbon on his sweater, which he'd worn to church earlier that morning. At the time I didn't think much about the ribbon, but later that evening when we got home, I thought that I too should have worn some sort of symbol to honor Veterans all, like he had done. It's not that I was unaware of the significance of the day, it's just that I sort of took it for granted, and that was my error, especially considering all of the veteran affairs with which I have been indirectly involved throughout the year. Another lesson learned.