Thursday, December 03, 2009

National D-Day Memorial


Earlier this week I took a short drive to Bedford, VA to visit for the first time, the National D-Day Memorial located there. I'm putting together a photo essay about the site, for the Jan-Feb 2010 issue of Army Engineer magazine.

First, I was most impressed by what I saw, and the photos I was able to capture while nice to look at pictorially, don't do justice to actually being there in person. And that's a problem apparently for many—being there. Since its dedication by President Bush several years ago, the private foundation operating the memorial has found it more and more difficult to raise sufficient funds annually to maintain operations as desired. You can help, by visiting the location and paying the $5.00 entrance fee, or making a donation.

I won't go into any more detail here, because I plan to be much more specific in the article I'm working on for the magazine. Point is, for those reading this who are within a reasonable drive from Bedford in Central Virginia, consider a trip to see the memorial during the upcoming holiday season. It's definitely worth the trip.