Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cleaning out the Basement Storage Area

Slow day for Blog-type news from me, eh—witing about cleaning out our basement. A necessary chore from time to time. This was made possible NOT by me suddenly having a "get neat" urge, but by some heavy rains over the past two weeks that exposed an outside drainage problem dealing with one of our house roof gutter drains failing to channel enough water away from the house. Some minor seepage in a dark corner of a back storage room alerted me to the problem about a week ago, so I spent all day yesterday fixing that problem, which included re-routing the outside drain, plus putting some concrete block sealant around the part of the wall with the seepage.

This work resulted in me having to move a pile of accumulated stuff out of the storage area, such as old computers, monitors, empty boxes, and other assorted stuff I'd been too lazy to toss out before. A couple of trips to the local recycle area, and the dump, and all my stuff was taken care of. Then, I decided to suck up with my shop vac, all the accumulated cobwebs and other debris that had accumulated not only in the back storage area, but throughout my adjacent basement workshop. Once I got into my workshop area, I discovered all sorts of other junk that needed to be carried off to the dump.

So, I feel pretty good right now, what with a nicely cleaned out basement. Now, lets hope I took care of the concrete block seepage problem, that caused me to undertake this somewhat unpleasant home maintenance chore in the first place.