Saturday, December 27, 2008

Getting ready for a new year



I took this photo in July of 2007 off the coast of Alaska near Kenai Fjords National Park. Eight of us were in an inflatable Zodiac boat, cruising along the shoreline, when we flushed a massive number of sea birds off the water and into the cloudy sky. The snow-covered mountain peaks in the background added to the scenic picture. I'm headed back to Alaska next June, this time with my grandson Michael, a present for him graduating with all "A's" from high school, and having been selected for early admission into the School of Engineering next fall at Virginia Tech. That trip is a ways off, but my excitement grows as I look back through all the photos I've taken from earlier trips "up north". My wife is allowing me to go back to Alaska without her, only so long as I don't visit any place she's not been herself. She and I have seen a lot of that part of the world together, so I won't have much trouble complying with her instructions. If all goes well, she and I may return together in 2010 to explore some new places. But, for 2009, it's Michael's turn.