Monday, November 24, 2008

DOD photo altered by DOD

The Associated Press (AP) has removed from its service a digitally altered image of Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody, the military’s first female four-star general. This was the second time in two months that AP has suspended the use of DOD provided images. I looked at the two images of GEN Dunwoody (you can see it here) and there clearly was a difference…the most notable being the placement of an American flag in the background, and the retouching of her face and uniform. It did not seem to be a big deal to me, retouching, since I often do the same type thing when I get a less than desired quality photo to use, usually one that’s not of high enough resolution. When that happens, I have to retouch the image to remove the digital artifacts, etc.. However I NEVER add anything to an image that would change it’s portrayal, such as the addition of the flag by someone in the DOD. Bad judgement on their part, and not good journalism. Main point being, given the fact the Dunwoody is the first female four-star, one would have thought that DOD would have made sure a top notch photo was provided for their press release.