Monday, September 08, 2008

Do they take U.S. dollars in Alaska?

Each time I take a trip to Alaska (my most favorite place ever…I've been three times and am going back again next year) I hear all kinds of stories from true Alaskans concerning the number of dumb questions they receive all the time from us in the lower forty-eight. The one they tell me the most is about the typical tourist asking if stores accept U.S. dollars, and what's the exchange rate. They also ask if credit cards are acceptable "up here in Alaska." Others want to know "what language is usually spoken up here". Now that the Great State of Alaska itself has become front page news as a result of the selection of its governor (Sarah Palin) as the Republican Party VP nominee, I have heard some pretty dumb comments originating from main network news reporters. The one that made me laugh the most came out of the mouth of a fresh-faced reporter the other night who wondered on air if "those in the United States ever heard of Sarah Palin before." I thought to myself "Nope, us Americans never did hear of her." But then it's really no surprise at how geographically challenged most people are today in the United States. For example, my grandaughter in her second year of high school could not tell me the other day exactly where Louisiana was on a map. She's a "all A student" by the way. Aren't our schools terrific?