Sunday, February 24, 2008

Beauty of life


Yesterday I took a drive through some back roads of SW Virginia, on a “photo shoot” looking for anything “scenic” or historic. One very narrow and winding road that went upwards toward the Blue Ridge Parkway to about 3500 feet, included several old and uninhabited homesteads, which are one of my favorite photographic subjects. However, the trip also included a more modern, but remote farm on the Blue Ridge plateau (shown here). It immediately caught my eye so I hit the brakes and stopped to capture several views on my Nikon camera. On a relatively short 120-mile drive taking about four hours, I saw numerous examples of rural mountain life as it was in the early 20th Century, compared to how it is today. This made me appreciate (once again) the beauty of life, which can be realized by anyone taking the time to watch for it.