Sunday, November 05, 2006

Leaves and football

Not much in common with the words in the title, except for the fact football comes in the fall when leaves change color, drop slowly to the ground, and litter our yards. If you have a big yard as I do, leaves become an obstacle to the execution of more leisurely activities.

I could have spent yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday) raking leaves, but I decided to defer that chore to another day. I decided to work to finalize the next issue of Army Engineer magazine (Nov-Dec) and to give me something to listen to in the background today while I sat at my Apple computer, I tuned in to the NFL TV games being broadcast.

While I still have an interest overall in the outcome of the weekly NFL games, I've lost, over the past few years, the same level of enthusiasm I once had with the NFL. I used to be a fanatic Washington Redskins fan, but after the team was sold a few years back to a money grubbing, egotistical individual (he who shall not be named), I decided to mostly root for other teams. But not today.

One thing has remained constant for me over the years. I absolutely love to see the Dallas Cowboys lose a game, especially a close game. And they did not disappoint me today. Redskins 22, Dallas 19. My most enjoyable moment was watching Terrell Owens drop a sure touchdown pass for Dallas that might have sealed the game for them. Hot dog got too confident.

Our local high school football team won, as did Virginia Tech. So, with the Cowboys going down, it's been a wonderful weekend for me. Unfortunately, many more leaves also fell yesterday and today, and I am very near the line of departure for Operation Rake.