Friday, October 27, 2006

Pollsters at the door

Living in the politically charged Commonwealth of Virginia, as we near the 2006 mid-term elections, I'm getting pretty weary of being interrupted during the day by pollsters calling me on the telephone, and asking about my opinions. Will I support one or the other candidate for the US Senate? What are my main concerns today? And so forth.

Frankly, my main concern is that I'm sick of politics. If the democratic and republican parties were each running a for-profit business like a fast-food restaurant for example, they would put each other out of business in a heart beat, with all the negative advertising going on. No sane person would eat in either establishment!

No matter who wins, not much will change overall when you get right down to it. The animosity and hate-filled accusations spouted off by people from each political party over the past decade has caused a festering wound that will be hard to heal.

Oh well, at least Virginia Tech thrashed Clemson in football last night. But on the other hand, Detroit lost game four of the World Series.