Saturday, October 14, 2006

Friday Night Lights

If you've read the book, or seen the new TV series (same name as the title here) you'll appreciate what I'm about to say. Going to a local high school football game is pretty good stuff.

Living where I do in Southwest Virginia, surrounded by hard working families with a large amount of loyalty to their local roots, allows me to sit in the midst of high school band boosters; and screaming students, parents, grandparents and fans all cheering for the home team. Last night "my" team from Henry County, played arch rival Martinsville High School from the nearby city. Martinsville players dressed in bright red and white, and Magna Vista players dressed in dark blue and red both fought hard. In years past Magna Vista won easily. But last night they were beaten badly by the kids from the city.

The consolation to me and my family was that our band out performed Martinsville at halftime, and that fits the formula I devised years ago when we moved here, and started attending high school sports functions. "If a school has a good football team, their band won't be that good. On the other hand, if a school has a bad football team, then it's likely their band will be great." Last night proved my formula is correct.