Sunday, August 02, 2009

Military Discounts

One thing I have to keep reminding myself is that many companies and establishments are offering quite a lot of discounts off their products and services; many more than there used to be. I was, for example, recently surprised to learn that Verizon (my new cell phone provider) offers a 15% discount off your monthly bill, plus a 25% discount off all accessories they sell.

As I was getting my new cell plan and phone purchase squared away, I was asked who my employer was, and when I said I was retired military, the sales clerk said, "Great, did you know you can get a discount?" Turns out she had just left the Army after her initial enlistment. All I had to do was to take a copy of my Certificate of Discharge plus my Military ID into the store, and they set it all up for me the next day.

I say "well done" to Verizon, but there are many other companies doing the same for us these days. I just have to learn to ask, "Do you offer any military discounts?' from time to time, or at least mention that you are, or have been, in the military.