Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cell Phones, etc.

I have one, as do most people these days, cell phone that is. Usually my monthly minutes are way less than 100. I do essentially zero texting, and have never received such a message from someone else. I've attempted to send a few to my grandkids, but it took so long and I made so many mistakes in typing what I wanted to write that I gave up. Still, I always seem to be in the market for a new cell phone at the end of every two-year service contract period. Yup, it's that time right now and I'm-a-lookin.

First decision to be made is whether to remain with U.S. Cellular or go somewhere else. Southern Virginia is essentially the black hole of adequate coverage for many providers, especially ATT. That's bad for me, because I want the new iPhone 3GS and ATT is the sole provider for that device. ATT coverage around here is a definite deal breaker for me. Verizon probably has the best overall coverage, with U.S Cellular being a very close second. I've used U.S. Cellular for years and never have had any issues. But, when I drive up to the Blue Ridge region less than an hour from my home, I have zero service on U.S. Cellular. Verizon coverage maps tell me they might be much better in that area, but who knows. I'm still a-thinkin about what to do in this regard.

Second decision is what new phone to get. My first choice, the iPhone 3GS is out because of ATT. There are many other possibilities out there that interest me, in a way. My problem on selecting a new phone, however, relates to the fact that "texting" is driving the design of most new phones today, and I already mentioned my total lack of mental and motor skills in that regard. So, I'll continue to look. And, there is always the obvious option to do nothing and keep my current phone and provider. But like I wrote at the beginning, I like change.

I need to end this rambling post, mainly because most of you reading it probably are not that interested in my cell phone usage. Whatever, I've already written about it, so there you go.