Friday, June 22, 2007

Bits and pieces

Nothing here of true importance…just some bits and pieces about, well…stuff.

IPhone:
Unless your TV is broken or has been unused for several weeks, you have surely seen at least one of the commercials for what many regard as a new standard in cellular "smart" phones, in the form of Apple's iPhone. Looks interesting, and fun to use. It's a combination phone, music player, internet device, personal data repository,etc. It's to be released June 29th, and is going to cost around $500. Big question in my mind is how well will it work once it gets into the hands of the public, many of whom do not always follow directions, and therefore often identify faults, bugs, and associated issues the manufacturers never dreamed about.

Buying a car:
I'm a truck man. Yesterday, I took my grandson out to several local dealers to look at possible purchases for his first "car"…a 4-door sedan. I've not driven a sedan for years, and had forgotten what they are like inside. We saw several pretty neat innovations, and some we got into were very roomy. And, they are way better on gas consumption today than were the trucks I've owned, especially my new Nissan Titan V-8. Thank God for credit cards when I fill that baby up with it's 28 gallon gas tank! He had not a clue at first about what to expect, and I suspect he was pretty well worn out after we got home following visits to five dealers selling various brands. Nissan and Toyota scored high on his list, but he also like Ford. His older sister has a Dodge, so that brand was never a consideration for him, even though her Dodge has been a good car so far.

Presidential politics
I've concluded that MSNBC cable news network has lost it's mind by spending so much time analyzing over and over again, who is or is not the front runner, who's tubing, who's peaking, who's going to enter, who's leaving. CNN is not far behind. FOX News seems to have less time devoted to the subject, but still is doing its part to bore us senseless. I tried watching network news for a few weeks, but it's so bad and biased I gave up. I suppose by the end of 2007 I'll be watching more and more reruns of the Andy Griffith show during the evening news period. It sure would be nice to live in Mayberry wouldn't it?