Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Morning Routine

For years I have walked briskly every day except Sunday, when it's not raining or snowing too hard. My route through our neighborhood is 2 miles and it's the same every day, but I sometimes reverse direction. Before we moved here I ran every day except Saturday and Sunday, usually 3 miles in length, and I did so generally before sunrise because I had to go to a regular job. When I was on active duty in the Army I ran the same days a week, but 4 miles or more in length...and I did so either with close friends or in a unit formation. In short, I developed the morning routine I have now a long time ago.

What I have now that's different from before is a more peaceful experience. I guess age has something to do with that, but I also have to credit my increasing religious faith as well.  I can, for example, listen to various sorts of music on my iPhone and gain inspiration at the same time from reading bible passages on its screen while walking. It may seem to those I greet along the way that I am "alone" but I am clearly not.

My attitude improves as I walk, because I have to admit I usually walk out of the house a bit hazy, not yet fully aware of the pluses and minuses of the day ahead, so it may take a mile before my outlook improves. The same barking dogs (caged or tied up in yards) greet my passing, and there are the same neighbors out and about also walking. We say "Good morning" to each other and maybe add a few other tidbits of wisdom such as, "Weather's looking good, eh?" On Saturdays I have to watch out for many more passing cars than normal because that's "yard sale" day, but only in the spring, summer and fall. People around here don't sell any of their household junk during the winter. Not sure why.

Some have written that routine daily exercise can become an addictive habit, and when you don't do it your body shouts out, "Why not!" For me it's more of a "guilt" thing if I miss a day walking (except for Sundays as I wrote earlier). In sum, my morning routine is a way for me to put things in perspective as I begin each day, and to realize I am indeed thankful for what I have been given.