Wednesday, April 06, 2011

A New Chief of Engineers Nominated

The President has nominated Lt. Gen. Tom Bostick to become the next Army Chief of Engineers, replacing Lt. Gen. Robert L.("Van") VanAntwerp who has been in that position since 2007, and had been expected to retire this year. I've seen many changes at the top of the Army Corps of Engineers in my time, and one thing that strikes me as important to that job is how much more varied the experience of individuals being nominated has become today, compared to how it was in the past.

For example, I recall a time when in many cases an individual nominated by the President to be Chief of Engineers, would have spent many years prior serving primarily on the "civil side" of the Corps. There is nothing wrong with that, but over the years since, individuals with a much broader range of Army assignments have taken over at the top of the Corps of Engineers. Bostick, for example, is now Deputy Chief of Staff, Personnel on the Army Staff, and his other top level assignments have been equally impressive, especially on the troop side. VanAntwerp had a similar broad range of Army assignments, as did others who have come before him since the mid 1990s.

This is all good in my view, and I am sure that Lt. Gen. Bostick will perform exceptionally well at the helm of our branch of service. I wish him all the best, as do I for "Van" and his family who now move on to other arenas in which to excel.