Sunday, November 07, 2010

Getting Fitter

The Army plans to implement a new physical readiness training program and test(s) soon. Army Times online has a summary article here. Seems OK to me, but I've been out of the Army for a long time and have no idea just how fit the force is these days, compared to what it was when I retired in 1992...when we were pretty fit...in my view.

When I came in the Army in 1963 we had a run-dodge-jump event, a grenade throw event, a low crawl event, a horizontal ladder event, and a mile run. You had to pass each event...best I recall. Later as years passed, the Army experimented with some other events, finally settling on what we've had for years...sit-ups, push-ups, and the 2-mile run.

The new physical readiness program is going to range in areas not seen before, according to the article. So, it will be interesting to see how it all works out. Happy sweating in the meantime.