Sunday, May 03, 2009

Write your War Story

I read today at Army Times Online, "The Army is sorting through a mound of problems after almost eight years of war. Thanks to an English instructor at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, writer’s block will not be one of them. A program called 'Telling War Stories' is going on the road this summer to several posts to encourage soldiers to write about their experiences."

This is an excellent initiative. I've been encouraging all the engineer Vietnam vets I know to write down their experiences, and to send them my way, for ultimate publication in Army Engineer magazine. I have done the same for WWII, Korean War, and Gulf War/OIF/OEF veterans. Unfortunately, far too many veterans don't do this, and later in life they may wish they had, while memories are fresh.

You definitely do not have to be a "writer". There are others who can help edit what you might want to say, in a way you wanted it said. The main point is, to "write it down", and that's what I think those at West point are getting at with the new program.