Sunday, June 15, 2008

Who was Charlie Poole?


If you love traditional bluegrass music (as I do) then you probably know all about Charlie Poole. Each year in Eden, NC just a short drive from where I live in SW Virginia the city holds a festival to honor his music. Good old pickers and singers from across the country come to enter competitions playing various instruments such as banjo, fiddle and guitar. Some play all string instruments, and all have a knack of being able to immediately join together in a spontaneous display of incredibly good music. I spent the entire day yesterday just hanging around with my camera, listening and tapping my feet and clapping my hands in rhythm to whatever tune was played. I loved it all, and took almost 100 pictures, which I am sorting through now for the "keepers". A couple of those are above. One sticker I saw on the back of a bass fiddle read "We will no longer be called Hillbilly Rednecks. We will henceforth be known as Appalachian-Americans. I want one of those stickers!