Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wish I knew what's real

Last night on the evening TV news I caught a brief segment that said the Washington Post reported some significant progress in Iraq, specifically a trend perhaps indicating that the al-Qaida threat has been severely reduced as a result of U.S. efforts. Then, I listened to the words of retired LTG Ricardo Sanchez, former commander in Iraq, who was totally negative on just about everything. Why the general waited until now to unload his frustration is a good question. Anyway, I frankly have no idea what's real or not. Looking back at my Vietnam experience, it was hard to find anyone on the ground early in the 1970's (wearing tattered jungle fatigues) who was that supportive of our mission there, given it had been so screwed up earlier by politicians and others. Politicians today certainly are not helping us to archive success in Iraq, but my gut tells me that (unlike in Vietnam) the majority of our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan remain very supportive of their mission. I wish I knew for sure what's real.