Saturday, December 02, 2006

Photography is fun

One of the nicest things I get to do in relation to being Editor of Army Engineer, is to spend a lot of time taking photographs for use therein, or to use in my personal collection. When I took "Fundamentals of Photography" at Iowa State University in 1972, it was only because I needed some "easy" credits my last term there, so I could remain a full time student...in the eyes of the Army which had funded my attendance. (I'd already completed all the courses I needed to graduate with an MS in Geodetic Science, and the Army could not move me early, thus the need for some additional courses.)

Actually, the course was a lot harder than I thought it would be, since we were required to spend many hours out in the field taking roll after roll of pictures, and then return to the lab to develop the film. The "final exam" consisted of having to prepare a photo essay on some subject that could be told only with photos taken...no text. I decided to do an essay about the local bar where my Army classmates and I had gathered weekly during our two years together. Having to take pictures, for example, of full pitchers of cold beer with sweat beads slowly dripping down the outside was interesting, and after several glasses had been consumed, my ability to compose picture after picture was progressively degraded. It took me several weeks to complete the essay, but in the process I had a lot of great fun. I kept the notebook I placed the photo essay in, and it's always interesting to go back and look at it. Oh, I received an "A".

My photographic abilities improved quite a bit after I left active service, and now I'm fairly proficient with my Nikon D70S digital camera, and can operate rather well in Photoshop to prepare images for insertion into the magazine.

I even bought a photo journalist's "vest", and generally try to imitate being an "embedded reporter" as I travel about. It's surprising how many places you can get into when you carry a camera with a big lens, a photo backpack, and wear a photo vest. Say cheese!